I’m a good Southern girl who loves seersucker for Easter. I think my bloodstream is 2 parts seersucker, 2 parts madras and 1 part linen. So when it came time to think about Emma’s Easter dress, I decided to raid my Goodwill pile of clothes that’s been sitting there for
months a while. Sure enough, I found a skirt that no longer fits me. And not just because I’m pregnant, either. *ahem*
It’s a green and white seersucker wrap skirt that I bought off of eBay years ago, and I wore it religiously as soon as Spring reared it’s allergy-ridden head. And then I had a baby and … well, my hips don’t lie.
In about 45 minutes, it became Emma’s seersucker Easter dress. It mostly took that long, because Emma wanted to cut the ribbon and choose the color of thread and iron the hem and break the rowing machine and catch the shards of fabric and string that fall out from under the industrial serger.
By the way, it’s not crazy longer in the back – the wind was blowing and due to the way it was hanging on the hanger, it just looks that way.
Total cost was $1.25 for the roll of light pink ribbon I used at the top.
I still need to fray check the ends of the ribbon and get her some white sandals, but other than that, she’s ready for Sunday!
Since it was a wrap skirt, it was very easy to just cut enough width for a comfortable dress and serge the sides together. A double blessing was that the skirt was cut on the bias, so the dress has plenty of flare. Then, I used a mixture of this and this tutorial to make the actual dress. And lucky me, the hem was already finished.
I can’t wait to get pictures of her in it on Easter morning. I’m thinking about making a matching headband with the leftover fabric if I have time …